Sunday, October 4, 2009

And then there were 3!

We went in at 8 a.m. this morning and Dr. Peterson said there were actually 3 eggs that fertilized and could be used! He said the fertilization rate is about 60% so were right on. I guess they weren't sure about the development of one of the eggs, so they didn't mention it yesterday. One fertilized early, one as expected and one late. There was one egg that allowed 2 sperm to penetrate and that one had to be thrown out.

They are multiplying a little slower than they would like to see. One had divided to 8 cells, one to 4 cells and the other to 2 cells. Because of their slower division rate, they thought it would be best to transfer them on Day 3 vs. Day 5. He said that our chances of getting pregnant transferring all 3 would be between 25% and 40% and if I was his daughter, he would encourage me to transfer all 3 to increase our chances. There would only be about a 3% chance of triplets. He then left us alone with pictures of our 3 embryos to decide how many we wanted to have transferred.


Clay and I talked about it quite a bit and we decided on transferring all 3! We went from planning on 1 to now 3! I'm such a planner that it is hard for me to adapt easily to this ever-changing world. But we're going with their recommendations and even though we were surprised and a little scared, it felt like the right decision.

We had some more time to talk to the doctor before the actual procedure. He said that they tested the follicular fluid for HCG levels and it was around 20 and they want it to be around 100. He thought that was probably the reason there weren't more mature eggs. HCG is what causes the eggs to mature within the follicles. We just don't know why... whether my body didn't react as expected or if there was something that went awry with the medication. They are going to be researching this with the company that provided the HCG I took last Tuesday. I feel a little better after having a chance to talk with the doctor and really felt that they were looking out for our best interest and wanted the same results we do.

The procedure was quite amazing! There was a TV on the wall with a video of the petri dish of embryos. We first saw our names flash and then the catheter suck up the little embryos. They were then brought right to us and inserted into the guiding catheter that was already in, just 1 cm from the top of the uterus. They said I needed to relax, relax, relax over the next 4-5 days and try not to get my blood pressure up at all. I was curious if there was anything that I could do to dislodge them and the nurse said that they were like sand in a sponge...very difficult to shake free.

Clay's been great! He's been grocery shopping, cooking and cleaning. Boy, I could get used to this! We're just chilling out watching movies and TV today. Quite a coincidence, but we watched a show on National Geographic about kangaroo joeys. I didn't realize this, but they develop partially inside the mother's body for only a few weeks and then they climb up about 12 inches outside of the body (quite a journey for such a little one with no legs yet) to the pouch where they continue their development for months. If those joeys can be that strong, so can ours!

So, now is the tough part...waiting! Keep all of your thoughts, prayers, wishes and good vibes coming our way! Thanks for all your support thus far! We love you all!

6 comments:

  1. WE LOVE YOU GUYS TOO AND YOU ALL, ALL 5 of you are in our thoughts and prayers!!!! We can't wait to hear the great news! XOXOXOXO
    Kell & Nick~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that is a lot ot take in! I hope everything goes great! Are you going in to work? or staying home? You guys are so strong. Way to go Clay on stepping up and making it so she won't worry about anythign! great hubby! Let me know if you need anything, i would be happy to come out!

    Delinah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ashley I am so excited for you guys, I remember when we had to make that decision to either put 1 back or 2 and we went with 2 just to better our chances and hey look we ended up with 2 so if you end up with 2 at least that would be awesome I suggest having twins it really is alot of fun and I hope my next go around I can have another set of twins. Anyways I love ya guys and I am thinking of all of you. K keep us posted, hang in their waiting is so not the fun part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, three?? I think that was smart to do. You guys are in my thoughts!!! Can't wait to hear what happens. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are always in my thoughts !!! I'm sure we'll have some Joeys out in this world in a few months !! I'm very excited for you guys and wish you all the best... you both are amazing people and deserve nothing but the best... I admire you both so much for being this strong and continue to try to expand your family, and regardless of how hard it may be sometimes, that you are still together, you are great role models and I'm sure the day your kids are grown they'll be so thankful to have such great, loving and caring parents.

    Lots of love and good vibes to you ALL !!!
    Iani and Milo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You, Clay, and the 3 Joeys are definitely in my thoughts and prayers! You are wonderful people and will be amazing parents! I'm glad you've been continuing with the acupuncture because I've read that it really helps and makes this this process more successful!
    Can't wait for the next update and Happy Almost Birthday!

    Vik

    ReplyDelete