Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Week 3

We got back from Oregon on Sunday night and we had a great time! We visited with Wynton and Tony, walked around Portland, ate at some nice restaurants, golfed, went to the beach and to the 2nd largest Oktoberfest in the world (next to Munich)! The game was very disappointing, but it was a wonderful weekend! We travelled with the Lupron, which had to be kept cold, but it was pretty easy and just kept refilling baggies with ice. The clinic gave me a note to travel with medication and needles in case there were any questions.

Monday morning I started 3 shots a day. I am now taking 1/2 the amount of Lupron and have added the Follistim and Repronex. The Follistim is easy with the pen. The needle is smaller and I don't have to measure the dose myself. Each dose of the Repronex has to be mixed daily. I mix with the larger needle and then replace with the smaller one. Thank goodness! Both of these new shots take longer to administer and they hurt more. I'm starting to get a little bruising and a few welts. Other than headaches and slight cramping, I haven't felt any side effects. I had an acupuncture appointment yesterday and she did a special treatment on me for headaches. I'm sure I looked quite comical with all the needles in my head. A bit like Hellraiser! :o)

We found out that I do not have the cystic fibrosis gene, so that is a relief! They recommend avoiding caffeine, alcohol and heavy exercise or twisting (like in yoga). I'm sure that cutting caffeine out has a bit to do with my headaches! My ovaries are growing so large that they could twist or be harmed in some way. I can go on walks, which I love anyway! I will just need Clay to take Oscar in case he pulls or chases after another dog.

We are getting new carpet in the family room on Friday, so we'll be busy cleaning up and putting everything back in it's place. Clay's going to need some help since I won't be able to move anything big. This weekend should be pretty mello though. We do have a U of U game on Saturday (no tailgating for me!) and visiting with friends and family on Sunday. We go in next Monday at 8:00 am to see how my ovaries are doing and check the number of eggs. The doctors will then decide if I'm ready for the egg retrieval or if I need an adjustment on the dosage of the Follistim. Hopefully, I'll be ready for the egg retrieval sooner than later!

2 comments:

  1. Oh hang in their you are almost done! I so know what you mean about the 2nd and 3rd shot it was so not fun having to mix the right amount of dosage, and the bruising sucks I was so bruised, but just think once you get that egg retrieval no more stomach shots. Ya definitley take it easy cuz by the last day before they take your eggs you will be so uncomfortable and wont want to be walking or doing anything anyway.
    K good Luck I am thinking of you guys and praying lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excicted that you called this the Joey Project! Brings back lots of happy memories. I have been thinking about you the last few months. I will be sending postive thoughts your way! Hope that you will not be in too much pain! It will all be worth it! You will be the best mommy to any Joey

    ReplyDelete